Everyone has emotional needs, in business and our private lives, which are essential to leading an emotionally balanced life.
This is especially true for entrepreneurs as they work in the public domain as they operate their business for all to see.
The needs which need to be met include:
- Giving and receiving attention
- Having a sense of control
- Having purpose and meaning in our lives
- Having stimulation and creativity
- Being aware of the mind-body connection.
When we don’t have our needs met appropriately, we may seek out alternative solutions.
For a problem like smoking, for example –
- Smoking as a way of ‘breaking the ice’ when socializing
- Smoking as a way of making sure we take a break
- Smoking to have a sense of control in our lives
- As everything else seems out of our control we can decide to smoke and when to smoke; or smoking to give us stimulation.
A single issue or problem can have many different solutions.
By learning which need is being met by the problem, it is possible to address that need directly. As that need gets met, it is much less likely the problem will continue. It will be more likely it will be easier to move on and keep the changes.
Setting tasks can also create situations where the needs met appropriately through a safer, more acceptable behavior. Activities like hobbies, sports or learning can help to meet their needs.
By analyzing which needs are not being met, or are being met inappropriately, it is possible to dramatically speed up the time it takes to resolve the problem.
The impact will be much greater, as they continue to cope with life after therapy.