What is the State of Hypnosis?

What is the State of Hypnosis?

Hypnosis is difficult to define as people go in and out of a hypnotic-type consciousness every day.

Hypnosis compares to daydreaming, in that you are still completely a part of your surroundings, however, your mind wanders.

In hypnosis, the hypnotist gives suggestions to guide a person through a mental journey.

By guiding you through your subconscious mind, you will receive suggestions which will help you successfully make changes to any self-limiting behaviors, by substituting positive thoughts and behavior.

There are five factors present for hypnosis:

  1. Concentration – focused attention on the process
  2. Relaxation – physical and mental relaxation
  3. Motivation – want it to happen
  4. Suggestion – open to suggestions
  5. Imagination – ability to imagine 

Hypnosis works because it directly affects your subconscious mind, which lacks the ability to reason. Since it cannot reason, it accepts and acts upon the conscious mind’s suggestions. Before the conscious mind can be used as a tool in change, the five states mentioned above need to be in place.

Research has determined that the conscious mind only takes up 10% of the human brain. Conscious activities are what you do that interacts with the environment around you. The remaining 90% of your brain is the subconscious mind which handles the body’s functions- such as breathing, blinking, muscular and skeletal interactions, and even cellular activity.

The subconscious includes creativity and intuition, as well as emotion and rational/irrational behavior. Therefore the subconscious mind influences the conscious mind and is believed to be the more powerful of the two.

Unfortunately, the subconscious mind draws illogical rationalizations which lead to negative behaviors. 

The saving grace is that the subconscious mind can be reprogrammed.

There is a gatekeeper, between the conscious and subconscious mind called the “Critical Factor” which has the power to take in or reject suggestions. When the Critical Factor sees change as threatening, it rejects the suggestion outright, to protect the mind and body.

Any suggestion which is not compatible with what is programmed in the subconscious will be rejected unless the Critical Factor is bypassed. Once this is accomplished the process will go past emotion, memories, and habits and real change can occur.